Skip to main content

New Ender's Game Still

I'm super excited about this article published by Entertainment Weekly yesterday, which includes this still of Harrison Ford and Asa Butterfield and some army.


 http://img2.timeinc.net//ew/i/2012/12/03/fl-enders-game_810x543.jpg

It looks ah-mazing, but I'm still a little troubled. Because even though OSC SAID that almost none of the scenes of the movie were in the book, and vice versa, it's still scary. As in, in Ender's Game Graff never visits the barracks. O.O Also, the article says "He’s facing off with the imposing Colonel Graff (Harrison Ford) over whether his emails to home are being blocked."  In the book, it's a given that they're blocked. And when did he write any emails to home anyway? >.>

In the comments of this and other articles, you can find many an outraged fan ranting over the stools next to the desks, the socks(!!) and the not one, but two girls you can find if you click on the entire picture  here.

Also, I wasn't too terribly upset about Major Anderson's change from a guy in the book to a gal(Viola Davis ) in the movie. I was upset at his/her downgrading to a "psychologist". Reading the book a second time, I loved Anderson's role opposite Colonel Graff, and I'll miss it. :(


Normally, I would just throw my hands up in the air and go weep bitter, bitter, tears. But the confusing thing is, everyone working on the movie really does seem to respect the book and love it. So I still have hope that they could pull off the movie, maybe different than the book, but still capturing that same awesomeness.

"Despite that change, Hood wants fans of the novel to know that he holds Ender’s Game, the book, in high esteem. (We already know he maintained the emotion-monitoring chip on the back of Ender’s neck.) “I am a fan,” he says, “and I have had a desire to do this and have been working on this now for nearly four years.” To that end, the director promises that the book’s dark ending (which I won’t spoil here) has remained fully in tact. “That ending — and the complex moral questions that it raises — is one of the reasons why I love the book, ” says Hood. “I promise you that it is very much there.” All together now: Phew!"

I wonder what they mean by that...Exactly which dark ending are they talking about? This is a totally legit question. Dark ending as in ending early in the normal, logical place, or the whole, way-too-much-closure, fifty years later, Speaker for the Dead ending in the book?
 

Read the whole article here.



Comments

Post a Comment

Amaranthine <3's you. Thanks for the comment!

Popular posts from this blog

three amazing--and relatively little known--psalms

So I'm reading Psalms in the Bible right now. Well, Psalms is one of the three places I read from. I'm reading the Bible all the way through and read two chapters from three places--the Old Testament, the middle of the Old Testament, and the New Testament--every day. I'm in Deuteronomy and Romans in the other sections, but in the middle I'm still right where I started from-Psalms. Cause Psalms is really really long. I was getting kind of tired of Psalms(which isn't really the right attitude to be reading the Bible in). But I realized there are some really breathtaking passages in Psalms, and I'm glad I read them. These are my three favorites: *Buck Forester on Flikr Psalm 65 This one is about God's spectacular creation. What mighty praise, O God,      belongs to you in Zion. We will fulfill our vows to you, 2       for you answer our prayers.      All of us must come to you. 3  Though we are overwhelmed by our sins,      you forgive them a

Ciel Phantomhive vs. Artemis Fowl

  Don't laugh. XD The similarities between the two characters are so distinct and obvious that comparison is inevitable for anyone who's read/watched both series. I seriously thought when I first noticed Black Butler(more popularly referred to as Kuroshitsuji) that it was literally an anime adaption of Artemis Fowl.  Other people have read Artemis Fowl and thought "CIEL HAS A CLONE??!?" So I thought I'd outline some of the differences and analyze who would win. XD Similarities: Appearance:  This is the first similarity, and one of the most major, because if they didn't look so darn alike I don't think the comparison would have been as striking. The above picture of Artemis is a fanart, because there aren't really any good pictures of Artemis, and the manga style makes it more obvious. They are both from the British Isles and have black hair and blue eyes. Both of them lose/change/switch an eye resulting in two different colors. 

I need book recommendations!

    I heard this movie stunk. C'mon, I'm dying over here! In other, unrelated news, want to hear one of the most overrated book series I've ever read is? Alex Rider. I picked up Stormbreaker after legions of people going "READ ITZ AMARANTHINE TIS AMAZING". It was alright....I guess. I didn't...fall asleep or anything. But it was definitely not mind blowing. For starters, Alex is way underdeveloped as a character. He was a little funny and relate able but not on the same level as I was expecting. And he's a bit cliched in the fact that he's just generally smart and knows everything, without any explanation or emphasis. I guess you could say that he's only a genius when he needs to be, and it doesn't add any other levels to the story. Oh, and did I mention that he's well versed in martial arts too? Yeah. Ender could still kick his butt though. I guess it would be a good read for boys who don't read much. Definitely not YA lev