Skip to main content

NYC



Really loud, busy, and exciting! Crazy drivers and traffic. I couldn't imagine trying to drive in the streets, even riding is scary. XD

The first day we went, we walked around and went to the Museum Of Chinese in America, a must-see for any chinese people in New York City. It reminded me a lot of the tenacity and hardship my Chinese ancestors went through here. Where I live, there are more Asians than anybody else, and there are a lot of stereotypes of Asians being more smart or privileged, so it's hard to believe there was a time when it wasn't normal or cool to be Chinese. I think Chinese have assimilated into American culture to an unusual degree, so it was heartbreaking to read about the backbreaking manual labor in laundries or restaurants just so they could live in a place so they could live in America. It broke my heart to see and hear the primary source recordings and documents of the degrading hardship yet untainted pride of my ancestors. One of the people mentioned was actually my grandmother's great grandfather.

We spent lots of time walking around and went to a Chinese bakery and got awesome pastries. We walked to the Winter Garden and a park over the harbor, as well as the 9/11 memorial. We walked past the New York State supreme court. For dinner we went to a ridiculously overpriced and fancy Japanese fusion restaurant. The dessert($10!!) was really good but really small, it was a tempura mochi with kind of green tea coffee ice cream on it.

In New York there are endless opportunities to people-watch and tons of things to see and buy and hear. There are street performers dancing, singing, drumming, or making bubbles on every street corner. There are also quite a few homeless people and beggars.

Day 2 we tried to go to Governer's Island, but it was closed, so we took the Staten Island ferry both ways instead. The day was really beautiful and sunny and it was great to be on the harbor. We walked to the seaport and past Wall Street and the NYSE building. Outside there were news people filming, which was cool to watch. The seaport itself was okay, there was a trapeze school right outside and really cool tall ships. We took the subway to a little bit of Central Park and got some food from Whole Foods. Everywhere is extremely crowded. Whole Foods was like Anime Expo level crowded except with like food instead of merchandise. Finally, we went to Columbia University, which, despite being in the middle of the city, is incredibly gorgeous. It's like an entire different world once you step inside the gate. I got to meet one of my friends who is starting there this fall, and we walked around the campus(which is beautiful at night) and talked.


In all, although NYC is crowded and noisy and sometimes smelly and always crazy and a lot of walking, it's a good experience. I think I could get used to the city even though I don't think I'd like to live there forever.



Comments

  1. Wonderful post. Glad you are having an exciting trip. New York is an incredible city, nothing else like it. So many cultures and people have similar stories. We take so much for granted in this day in age. We are blessed. Thank you for sharing and have safe travels. Hugs from Grace's mom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Amaranthine <3's you. Thanks for the comment!

Popular posts from this blog

three amazing--and relatively little known--psalms

So I'm reading Psalms in the Bible right now. Well, Psalms is one of the three places I read from. I'm reading the Bible all the way through and read two chapters from three places--the Old Testament, the middle of the Old Testament, and the New Testament--every day. I'm in Deuteronomy and Romans in the other sections, but in the middle I'm still right where I started from-Psalms. Cause Psalms is really really long. I was getting kind of tired of Psalms(which isn't really the right attitude to be reading the Bible in). But I realized there are some really breathtaking passages in Psalms, and I'm glad I read them. These are my three favorites: *Buck Forester on Flikr Psalm 65 This one is about God's spectacular creation. What mighty praise, O God,      belongs to you in Zion. We will fulfill our vows to you, 2       for you answer our prayers.      All of us must come to you. 3  Though we are overwhelmed by our sins,      you forgive them a

Ciel Phantomhive vs. Artemis Fowl

  Don't laugh. XD The similarities between the two characters are so distinct and obvious that comparison is inevitable for anyone who's read/watched both series. I seriously thought when I first noticed Black Butler(more popularly referred to as Kuroshitsuji) that it was literally an anime adaption of Artemis Fowl.  Other people have read Artemis Fowl and thought "CIEL HAS A CLONE??!?" So I thought I'd outline some of the differences and analyze who would win. XD Similarities: Appearance:  This is the first similarity, and one of the most major, because if they didn't look so darn alike I don't think the comparison would have been as striking. The above picture of Artemis is a fanart, because there aren't really any good pictures of Artemis, and the manga style makes it more obvious. They are both from the British Isles and have black hair and blue eyes. Both of them lose/change/switch an eye resulting in two different colors. 

I need book recommendations!

    I heard this movie stunk. C'mon, I'm dying over here! In other, unrelated news, want to hear one of the most overrated book series I've ever read is? Alex Rider. I picked up Stormbreaker after legions of people going "READ ITZ AMARANTHINE TIS AMAZING". It was alright....I guess. I didn't...fall asleep or anything. But it was definitely not mind blowing. For starters, Alex is way underdeveloped as a character. He was a little funny and relate able but not on the same level as I was expecting. And he's a bit cliched in the fact that he's just generally smart and knows everything, without any explanation or emphasis. I guess you could say that he's only a genius when he needs to be, and it doesn't add any other levels to the story. Oh, and did I mention that he's well versed in martial arts too? Yeah. Ender could still kick his butt though. I guess it would be a good read for boys who don't read much. Definitely not YA lev