Skip to main content

toms shoes controversy

I take back my earlier post about TOMS shoes.
I don't support TOMS anymore. You might have heard about this, maybe not. Read this article and others for information. Basically, after the taping that I attended, a bunch of pro-gay/abortion online people started a petition and a bunch of flamy internet blog posts and Blake Mycoskie apologized and said that appearing on the show was a "mistake." They had a problem with Focus on the Family's traditional Christian(particularly the traditional marriage) values, and Blake Mycoskie(who is also a Christian) caved.

I won't go too into this..(not a good subject to talk about on the internet) but I'm really disappointed with Mr. Mycoskie. All the persecution/criticism/name calling comes with the Christian package. You even get kudos for it in heaven. But only if you stand up to it. But no:

Here's the official release:
"Had I known the full extent of Focus on the Family's beliefs, I would not have accepted the invitation to speak at their event. It was an oversight on my part and the company's part and one we regret. In the last 18 months we have presented at over 70 different engagements and we do our best to make sure we choose our engagements wisely, on this one we chose poorly."

This sucks. Focus on the Family is no hate group and treats everybody with respect. They just do radio shows and books, and they do them out of genuine love for the community. There isn't any anger, cursing, pounding of fists, tearing down houses and torching buildings or anything that comes with the label "hate group". They don't agree with everybody, but nothing does.

He "didn't know the extent of FoF's beliefs"? Seriously? All the angry blogosphere folks know the "full extent of Focus on the Family's beliefs" and they weren't contracted for an interview. Riighht. Like in the article, I'm sure he knew, but he didn't expect anybody to notice. And now that they do, he's suddenly dropping Focus on the Family like a hot potato.

It was an awesome event. They sold like 350 pairs of shoes. He told stories that made me laugh and cry. We prayed for him. How could he say that he regretted it?

The event inspired me and my mother to think differently and to make a difference in the world. My mom even emailed our relatives about it. No one said a word about homosexuality. They weren't even giving partners. FoF had no intention to go to Africa and force antigay beliefs down people's throats. It was just a show, like advertising.

There are only like 500 signatures on the actual petition. I know people with more Facebook friends than that. What kind of example in the "stand up against persecution and stick to your beliefs" department is that?

We were going to go to Nordstroms and buy a pair. Not anymore.  1500+ Focus on the Family supporters, including me, went to hear him and bought TOMS because we believed in his dreams and his vision, and it feels sort of like he turned his back on us. Just a little.


*Feel free to comment. No hate please. I moderate these. . I have a dragon that guards me and is very protective. Even better, I have Jedi~Chick and Ember.

Comments

  1. YES. I heard about this and was like, "I am SO GLAD I did not buy these shoes. The guy was a WHIMP. So much for standing up for the truth, right? The dude should be ASHAMED. WHIMP. He's just afraid of losing money, greedy greedy greedy. I wish I owned TOMS. I would have told them off. I think this in the long run will hurt his company more.

    -Ley <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I never heard about those shoes till now. But that's horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How horrible. That dude has absolutely NO backbone. :P People like that make me sick (as Ember would say.)

    And yes, you've got me and Ember to protect you. And your dragon. So take that world! xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness, what a whimp! I'm completely with you!! How very sad and sick.

    ~Jamie Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's very sad to hear. I mean, really dude? There's going to be crazy people everywhere you go that will protest something you do, you've just got to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe this! :O I'm very glad I have never bought any TOMs. >.>

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Amaranthine <3's you. Thanks for the comment!

Popular posts from this blog

three amazing--and relatively little known--psalms

So I'm reading Psalms in the Bible right now. Well, Psalms is one of the three places I read from. I'm reading the Bible all the way through and read two chapters from three places--the Old Testament, the middle of the Old Testament, and the New Testament--every day. I'm in Deuteronomy and Romans in the other sections, but in the middle I'm still right where I started from-Psalms. Cause Psalms is really really long. I was getting kind of tired of Psalms(which isn't really the right attitude to be reading the Bible in). But I realized there are some really breathtaking passages in Psalms, and I'm glad I read them. These are my three favorites: *Buck Forester on Flikr Psalm 65 This one is about God's spectacular creation. What mighty praise, O God,      belongs to you in Zion. We will fulfill our vows to you, 2       for you answer our prayers.      All of us must come to you. 3  Though we are overwhelmed by our sins,      you forgive them a

Ciel Phantomhive vs. Artemis Fowl

  Don't laugh. XD The similarities between the two characters are so distinct and obvious that comparison is inevitable for anyone who's read/watched both series. I seriously thought when I first noticed Black Butler(more popularly referred to as Kuroshitsuji) that it was literally an anime adaption of Artemis Fowl.  Other people have read Artemis Fowl and thought "CIEL HAS A CLONE??!?" So I thought I'd outline some of the differences and analyze who would win. XD Similarities: Appearance:  This is the first similarity, and one of the most major, because if they didn't look so darn alike I don't think the comparison would have been as striking. The above picture of Artemis is a fanart, because there aren't really any good pictures of Artemis, and the manga style makes it more obvious. They are both from the British Isles and have black hair and blue eyes. Both of them lose/change/switch an eye resulting in two different colors. 

I need book recommendations!

    I heard this movie stunk. C'mon, I'm dying over here! In other, unrelated news, want to hear one of the most overrated book series I've ever read is? Alex Rider. I picked up Stormbreaker after legions of people going "READ ITZ AMARANTHINE TIS AMAZING". It was alright....I guess. I didn't...fall asleep or anything. But it was definitely not mind blowing. For starters, Alex is way underdeveloped as a character. He was a little funny and relate able but not on the same level as I was expecting. And he's a bit cliched in the fact that he's just generally smart and knows everything, without any explanation or emphasis. I guess you could say that he's only a genius when he needs to be, and it doesn't add any other levels to the story. Oh, and did I mention that he's well versed in martial arts too? Yeah. Ender could still kick his butt though. I guess it would be a good read for boys who don't read much. Definitely not YA lev